Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Maltese Falcon and the Importance of Breaking out of Your Comfort Zone.

Earlier in the semester I read The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. I picked it because I don’t really read detective novels and I thought this book would be a good opportunity to branch out and read a genre of fiction I usually walk right by at bookstores.
I only know Sherlock Holmes from the movies. (I know… I’m sorry.)

The book is rather well written, I was surprised, I know nothing about Dashiell Hammet besides the fact that he was a heavy drinker and a private eye. I have also never seen the movie. That’s another reason why I picked this novel, so that I could (eventually. sometime soon. let’s shoot for December) watch the movie afterwards. Ever since the first class, I’ve been trying to pick literature that has a trans media narrative. I often ask myself, “Would this make a good movie? A good book? A good game? Will it age like a fine wine, delicately fermenting in a virgin oak barrel? Or will it age like milk during a power outage?

I think these are important questions to ask oneself while in a literature and media class.

It’s also important to read things outside of what you’re comfortable with. I read almost exclusively fantasy, with some SciFi thrown in. And if it’s a rainy night, I’ll dust off the old Necronomicon. The Maltese Falcon reminded me of the importance of reading outside your comfort zone. It was like a literary vacation. After reading the novel, I got back into my fantasy swing with renewed vigor as well as making sure to check out other books by great writers.

I think that’s a good life lesson. Doing things outside your comfort zone. Skydive. (It’s fun.) Learn to ride a motorcycle. Do something unexpected and unplanned and wild because all those experiences add up. You can always come back home and live vicariously through Frodo or Harry Potter or Raskolnikov.


But there’s a whole world out there, so don’t forget to live vicariously through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment