Sunday, December 1, 2013

Leigh Brackett's The Empire Strikes Back

I’ve had a fascination with Leigh Brackett for a while now. I don’t know why. Probably because her SciFi novels don’t deal with the “far beyond. ” They don’t even travel very far. A lot of her novels take place on mars and it has swords and creatures and laser beam pistols. Generic laser beam pistols. (That’s the best kind.) She’s pretty cool and if you wanted to read something by her I suggest, The Sword of Rhiannon or The Ginger Star.

Or The Empire Strikes Back.
           
The story goes, at least from my layman understanding of it, that George Lucas recruited Leigh Brackett to aid him in writing the original screenplay. She was in her early 60s at the time and in fact, died before the movie’s release. George Lucas, being the knightly man he is, gave her credits post-humorously. And he didn’t even use a lot of the edits she made. Apparently he didn’t like them very much.
           
There’s not a lot of difference between the Leigh Brackett version of TESB and George Lucas’ version. But there’s enough change to make it worth the read. Names change and one or two pivotal plot points are different. It got me thinking.
Somebody needs to make film off her script.

I like this idea. As I was reading it I couldn’t help but feel like I stumbled across a carefully guarded secret. As if the screen play was buried underground locked in vaults with impassible combinations and the vaults were guarded by not 1 but 2 Stormtroopers. It was nerdy euphoria.

I’ve seen the movie many times and if I had watched them recently, would have probably written a blog post about it, too. Knowing the movie helped me imagine as I was reading the film. Star Wars is so branded now, unlike novels. Everyone sees characters in novels differently. But there’s only one way to see Han Solo, one way to see Darth Vader. And so I think watching the movies before reading the screenplay is the way to go when it comes to Star Wars. I think this rendition of a movie classic is worth the read.  

You know. I kinda prefer Minch.


No comments:

Post a Comment